Friday, August 28, 2009

Can't Stop Til We Get Enough

Does anybody else find the tenacious hold of '80s fashions utterly perplexing and even a little bit disturbing? When Michael Jackson died I jokingly said that it was only a matter of time before black penny loafers and white socks (which I wore back in '84) were cool again, but clearly I wasn't reading my fashion trade rags because I would have known about Opening Ceremony's footwear collaboration with Bass Weejuns, available NOW.

O.C., which is opening a huge new outpost in Tokyo this weekend, sent this image to my inbox yesterday with an announcement about Chloe Sevigny's latest collection for the store, which apparently is inspired by St. Marks punks as well as her preppy dad. Not only is Chloe wearing said Weejuns and white socks here, her pants, if you can't tell, are knitted fair isle sweatpants (note the fabulous fit)! And she's paired a menswear blazer with one of those low-armhole tanks that cheesy guys with braided tails used to rock back in the day, and all of it is topped with Wayfarer-esque sunglasses, a look I really thought we'd seen enough of, classic or not. It's almost as if she knew John Hughes was going to die too!

It's one thing when some 20-something hipster loads up with predictably ridiculous retro gear but it's another thing when someone whom I truly admire as a fashion original seems more interested in presenting an attitude than a good design.

No comments:

Post a Comment