Friday, August 7, 2009

When Dov Cries


Figures it would take New York magazine to alert me to the New York art blog, Animal, which posted a whole slew of American Apparel critiques/fake ads by New York-based graphic designer Stereo Hell. As Animal is quick to note, the text, which reads "Los Angeles. The morning after," is real American Apparel ad copy. Not surprisingly, the Animal site is now loaded with banner ads for American Apparel corduroys, African-inspired leggings, and the New York Public Library series, because Dov Charney, of course, knows that all publicity is good publicity. And how could he possibly object to some nice, stylish, dirty posters rendered in his name? My second fave was the one that urged, "Legalize ANAL."

I actually interviewed Dov wayyyy back when he was still talking about things like T-shirt quality, and hadn't begun masturbating in front of journalists. After the interview he walked me to subway, continuing to talk my ear off, but he didn't hit on me for even a second. I still take pride in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment