Monday, August 24, 2009

My Blue Crush

Sadly, my day looks nothing at all like this photograph. I am not at a picnic table on the beach in East Hampton, eating lobster and drinking ice-cold Coronas with Blue Crush star Sanoe Lake and other Billabong champion surfer girl cuties. Nah, I'm just here on deadline at my desk in Echo Park, remembering that summer afternoon a few years ago when I "got up" my first time ever on a surf board (the waves were barely perceptible), and decided that when I moved to California I, too, would become a surfer girl. Packed in my boxes were not one but three books about girls and surfing, two farewell gifts (apparently my New York friends had the same fantasy for me) and one a gift from Sanoe, who wrote her own, called - take a guess - Surfer Girl. I must confess I still haven't read any of them.

Number of times I've been surfing since that day: 1. I do have a pretty cute rash guard, though, so I'm ready. Can you blame a girl for dreaming?

No comments:

Post a Comment