Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Peachy Keen

This peach tree is a mere step from my door. Last year the peaches grew to be the size of baseballs but were mealy and flavorless; this year they're the size of golf balls and are firm, sweet, and juicy (go figure). Until the figs ripen I'll be having arugula, peach, and goat cheese salads like the one I just finished. Yum!

Maybe it's the New Yorker in me, but I never cease to be amazed that you can just pick something like a peach, for free, from a tree in your very own yard, and eat it. It's not just pretty, or defiantly inedible, like the wormy crabapples in my grandparents' back yard, or the sour mulberries that used to stain my bare feet purple in the summer.
If you don't have your own personal tree, the sweet boys of Fallen Fruit have made it easy for us all to enjoy the bounty of this city, with groovy, color-coded maps of public fruit trees. Happy picking!

No comments:

Post a Comment